Monday, September 3, 2012

diy: lilly coasters

Do you have old Lilly Pulitzer agendas from previous years that you no longer use?

Well, I had 3! I have a tendency to want to keep everything even if I don't need it haha. Thankfully though I found a good use for keeping them all these years- coasters!

Of course, I found this on pinterest, but I thought it was perfect idea and not too difficult! So, I quickly went out and got all the supplies I would need.

For this project you will need:

Of course you will need old lilly agendas to cut up. 

Then the tile I got at Home Depot for .16 cents each (what a steal).

Mod podge (a crafting necessity) is used to stick the paper to the tiles.

The Crystal Clear Kyrlon is needed to make the coasters waterproof. 

The felt is hot glued to the bottom of the tiles so that they won't scratch your tables.

First you will need to cut your squares of paper. I cut my paper into squares about 4"x4". Once they are all cut you can begin mod podging them to the tiles. Use one coat to stick them onto the tile, then do 
2-3 coats on top to make sure they are nice and stuck. Wait about 20 minutes between coats.

These are mine with 2 coats:



After they are dry go outside and spray 2 coats of the acrylic coating to make sure that the coasters are nice and water proof. You wouldn't want to spend all your time making them and then have them be ruined when a wet glass is put on it!

Once that has dried it is time for the last step. Cut the felt into 4"x4" squares for the bottom of the tiles. I matched mine to what I had on the front of my coasters, but you can do any color. Once they are all cut proceed to hot glue them onto the bottom of the tiles. Then you are DONE!


Here's how all mine came out. I made a ton, but I think they will be great presents. Especially when you need a present for someone, but your not sure what to get or you don't have time to go to the store. Wrap some ribbon around them and presto instant gift! I think they will also be a perfect accessory for my dorm room :)



I have also seen some with monograms on them that I would love to try. Has anyone else made their own coasters?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment